Sunday, January 17, 2010
THE HOUSE OF SEVEN GABLES
One of the early traders and merchants in Salem, Captain John Turner owned a number of ships and made his fortune in the Barbados trade. He built his house, later to become famous as the House of the Seven Gables, near his wharf. The house remained in his family for three generations and underwent many renovations.
The building that would come to be known as the Witch House was purchased in an unfinished state by Jonathan Corwin, heir to one of the largest Puritan fortunes in New England, in 1675. Grander than most homes in Salem at the time, the house boasted three steep gables, a deep porch, and wide, triple-casement windows. Corwin was a merchant by trade, but it was in his role as local magistrate that gives lasting renown to the house: the Witch House is the only remaining house in Salem directly tied to the 1692 Witch Trials.
The Author of the Scarlett Letter, Nathaniel Hawthorne was born here.